1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

18 DC Limited owners, what did you pay?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by heytat, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Mar 19, 2018 at 7:52 PM
    heytat

heytat [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florence CO
    Hey guys, I am considering a 2018 Double Cab 4x4 Limited Tundra in MGM. It has the Limited Premium package, the TRD Off Road package and nothing else. No side steps no bed liner, etc.

Is $41,865 plus tax a good price for this truck or can I dig deeper?

Thanks all.

2. Mar 19, 2018 at 8:03 PM
    Philly Tundra

Philly Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tre
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    Debadged chrome Color matched side mirror door handles Swap chrome grill for color match platinum honeycomb
    I got a Crewmax limited just 1 month ago (I know not DC ...but another data point for you to use in your research).
    Sticker was $50,300 i got it for $46,800.

3. Mar 19, 2018 at 8:28 PM
    alpinepro4

alpinepro4 What is your MPG Today!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fog lights, ARE CX Series Topper, Alcan Springs , DAP Tune, Coach Builder +1 Shackles, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED bulbs, HR LED interior bulbs. General Grabber ATX 275/70/R18
    Paid to much but it's a Pro, I wanted one. Paid $44,909 price went up when I added some goodies. Love the truck and DC.

4. Mar 19, 2018 at 8:36 PM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    What is the sticker/MSRP?

5. Mar 19, 2018 at 8:37 PM
    Spitfire

Spitfire New Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Limited Trd off road
    Think I paid 45550.. cremax limited trd 4x4.. cement that they had to go get 4 states away 49600 sticker.. this was back in December

6. Mar 19, 2018 at 8:38 PM
    heytat

heytat [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florence CO
    MSRP is 45865

7. Mar 19, 2018 at 8:45 PM
    BuckWallace

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    Seems like a decent price. I'm sure there is less "room to work" on double cabs. I paid $44,800 for my limited crewmax with a sticker of $49,514 back in September when the rebate was only $750. If you feel good about it that's all that really matters! You could probably always "do better" (or dig deeper, as you put it) if you're willing to really go to battle, but is it worth it for a little more off?

8. Mar 19, 2018 at 9:32 PM
    heytat

heytat [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florence CO
    Dig deeper, do better, get lower price... however it is said I would say the goal of the buyer in any transaction is to get the most product for the least money.

Only in car purchasing is this such a pain. It annoys me to no end when I ask a dealer what the best price they can give me is and their next response is to ask me if I will be financing or trading in a vehicle. My questions wasn’t about financing it was about how many dollars do I need to give you for that product. Once we agree on that we can talk about other aspects of how those dollars will get to you....

I will “feel good” about it when I know I’m buying the product at a price similar to the minimum price others have gotten.

Thanks for the help y’all. This is just such a weird power exchange dynamic process.

9. Mar 21, 2018 at 11:59 AM
    heytat

heytat [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florence CO
    Anybody else have input?

10. Mar 21, 2018 at 12:36 PM
    Philly Tundra

Philly Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tre
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    Debadged chrome Color matched side mirror door handles Swap chrome grill for color match platinum honeycomb
    As an fyi They were offering me 0.9% with good credit as of like 5 weeks ago

11. Mar 21, 2018 at 12:51 PM
    Redbeard321

Redbeard321 ballin' on a budget

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR5 Double Cab
    Not to sound too adversarial but that's fucking dumb. It's not a dick measuring contest. Pay what you're willing to pay for what you want.

big_jarv likes this.
  12. Mar 21, 2018 at 3:05 PM
    heytat

heytat [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florence CO
    Sorry man, its hard for me to not take that in an adversarial way.

I'm not trying to measure dicks, I just want to know if there is room for me to bargain down from the currently offered price for a product, or have I reach the market recognized lowest price. That seems like a pretty reasonable thing for a buyer to want to know.

I do hope you can continue your day without calling me fucking dumb again.

Cheers

13. Mar 21, 2018 at 3:21 PM
    BuckWallace

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    I'd say you're not going to get much lower without physically going in and playing hardball. You're gonna have to do that and/or start pitting dealers against each other. If you're just playing with one dealer it's probably not gonna get much better than the deal currently on the table.

14. Mar 21, 2018 at 3:23 PM
    heytat

heytat [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florence CO
    Thanks Buck,

Do you know of selling prices lower than what Ive been quoted for this particular truck?

Thanks again.

15. Mar 21, 2018 at 3:43 PM
    BuckWallace

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    I don't personally know of any better deals since I wasn't shopping for a double cab, but it seems like a 10% discount off sticker is a good number to shoot for on these Tundras. Toyota obviously isn't into the high sticker price with $13k discounts like the American manufacturers. What's the rebate on DCs now, $1k? If that's the case, you're getting about a 6.5% discount before the rebate and about 8.8% total. I got about 8% off before the rebate and about 9.5% total on mine, but it was a crewmax so they probably have more room to work. I probably could have done better if I had the energy to battle longer or waited a few more months when there weren't so many 2017s on the lots still, but I felt good about it and was ready to call it a night.

If I were you, I'd wait until a couple days before the end of the month and go in and offer something like $40,500 with a goal of getting it for around $41k on the nose. That would be about a 10.6% discount, which I would feel good about if it were me. If you're trading sonething in then this all goes out the window because they'll be looking to bend you over on either the sale or the trade. Just makes it way more complicated.

Either way, good luck!

16. Mar 21, 2018 at 3:44 PM
    heytat

heytat [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florence CO
    Thank you Buck. That was useful advice.

17. Mar 21, 2018 at 5:00 PM
    JoeDenver

JoeDenver New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2018 Crewmax MGM
    Lomax Tonneau, Line-X Bedliner, Clear Mask, Chrome Tip Exhaust, Stubby Antenna
    Like the other guy said buy what you like and don't worry about what someone else paid. Just be happy with your purchase.

18. Mar 21, 2018 at 5:05 PM
    heytat

heytat [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florence CO
    Thanks for that advice.

Not to be adversarial, but it is pretty useless advice when it comes to answering my initial question.

As a community we could have power in our numbers. By sharing realistic purchase prices for certain models we could all collectively negotiate for better prices on all of our purchases.

I find it very odd that this community is into protecting the profits of the dealerships as strongly as they are.

Thanks to some of the respondents.

Im sure I am now marked as a pain in the ass member of this forum, but so be it. I was just trying to use the community of Tundra owners to help identify a fair-to-the consumer purchase price and therey strngthen my negotiating position.

Carry on about bumper mods and the like.

19. Mar 21, 2018 at 5:12 PM
    Wvmoonshiner

Wvmoonshiner 2020 T4R Venture SE

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2020 T4R Venture Midnight black
    I paid $41.800 for D/C Limited. Got bed mat and Extang trifecta 2.0 cover and side boards included. It also has the bed extender too.

heytat[OP] likes this.
  20. Mar 21, 2018 at 5:14 PM
    heytat

heytat [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florence CO
    Thank you Wvmoonshiner. That is useful advice.

21. Mar 21, 2018 at 7:00 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Don't worry about it. For some reason the Tundra forum is different on this topic than the Tacoma forum. Tacoma forum has much more input from members on pricing. Maybe because dealers were not all willing to discount Tacomas like they do Tundras. Probably has something to do with lack of rebates and no real competition from other makes. I know of people that used pricing from Tacoma forum members when they bought theirs. If you go to the Tacoma forum you will see long running threads titled "what did you pay". Only gripe I had about some people posting over there was they insisted on posting OTD prices. OTD does not do anyone any good because fees vary from dealer to dealer and taxes state to state. Some even posted net of trade in. Discount off MSRP without dealer add ons is the only way to really compare to what others are paying. 15% was doable on end of year 2017s but from what I have seen 10% is good price on 2018s. I think the best way to get a good deal is to find truck you want in dealers inventory and offer a price you want to pay. This is what I did. Some will come back with bs and others will try to get you on the lot. Some won't reply at all.

22. Mar 21, 2018 at 7:47 PM
    BuckWallace

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    This is good advice. A couple of the larger dealers in my area are "one price" dealers where they literally will not negotiate on price. I found a dealer that does negotiate with the truck I wanted on their lot. When we sat down to talk numbers, they assumed I was a moron and quoted me a price over MSRP, with the whole "this is what we paid for it plus we have to make a profit" BS schpeel. When I told them what I would pay they threw seemingly every manager at me, telling me they could get me a 2017 for that price and blah blah blah. I had to fight a bit for it, but just stay strong and don't get into the "I gotta have it" mentality—be willing to walk away.

But yeah, I also don't get why some people are so touchy and reluctant to talk pricing (maybe they got screwed and don't want to admit it?), but I've always appreciated threads that talk about pricing.

23. Mar 22, 2018 at 6:25 AM
    Redbeard321

Redbeard321 ballin' on a budget

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR5 Double Cab
    Sorry maybe that came out kind of harsh. My intention was not to call you dumb, it was to say that is a dumb way of approaching car buying. If you approach it as a way to "beat the dealer" or get the most for the least, it probably won't end up that way ever. The dealer is selling a commodity, and will sell it for a profit so they always win.

What if they offered you a boeing 747 for $30k? You would be getting the most for the least, but what the hell do you need a boeing 747 for and where would you park it?

Set a budget or have a reasonable goal in mind. Maybe it's 12% off MSRP, or maybe your budget is $40k. Pick the truck you want, offer what you're willing to pay. They will most likely want more, and you are either willing to pay it or you aren't. A goal of "getting as good a deal as the best deal anyone else gets" isn't practical.

24. Mar 23, 2018 at 5:16 PM
    unkofatz

unkofatz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Off-road 4x4 Tundra
    Anyone with a limited selling their stock rims?

Products Discussed in

To Top