1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 Tundra gear change - increased towing capacity?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Idaho05Tundra, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Jan 7, 2017 at 2:40 PM
    Idaho05Tundra

Idaho05Tundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra Double Cab 4X4
    Bilstein 5100 shocks, LT265/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ATII
    My 2005 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 with 3.92:1 axle ratio has maximum tow capacity of 6,800 lbs. My travel trailer (fully loaded) is close to this weight, and the truck struggles pulling up the hills.

Ford and Chevy both publish increased tow capacity with lower gearing (higher ratios):
    Ford F-150 (5.0L) 3.55 axles has 7,700 lb tow capacity
    Ford F-150 (5.0L) 3.73 axles has 9,300 lb tow capacity
    Silverado 1500 (5.3L) 3.08 axles has 6,700 lb tow capacity
    Silverado 1500 (5.3L) 3.42 axles has 9,500 lb tow capacity​

Has anyone changed ring and pinion gear ratios in their Tundra to increase towing capability? Toyota does not publish towing data to verify this. I realize that MPG would decrease slightly during non-towing.

I increased my tire size from 265/65R17 (30.6") to 265/70/R17(31.6"), which is -3.3% revolutions/mile. So I would need to change gearing to approximately 4.10:1 just to account for the increased tire size only. But if I changed gearing further to perhaps 4.56:1 would that increase my towing performance?

Red913 likes this.
  2. Jan 7, 2017 at 3:23 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Changing gears will not change your factory tow capacity. It will help out in the power department.

I towed about that much weight with my 2nd gen Tundra. I can't imagine with a first gen Tundra.

GNTundra likes this.
  3. Jan 7, 2017 at 4:35 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Yes sir.

4. Jan 7, 2017 at 5:19 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Sounds like you might be confusing capacity and performance.

It's kind of like having a plastic 5 gallon pail and a steel 5 gallon pail and thinking that with the steel pail you can fill it with more than 5 gallons. Sorta. It reads strange though. lol

ToxicDC5 likes this.
  5. Jan 7, 2017 at 5:33 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    Better gearing will probably help with hill pulling for a particular load, at the expense of fuel economy and top speed. However, don't assume you can now pull or carry more weight. Not only does that put and potential insurance settlement at risk, but also makes you potentially liable for injuries to other people, in the event of an accident while towing.

There are also other factors that help determine tow capacity, such as engine power, tires, brakes, and suspension. So no, it won't increase your tow capacity but may make handling of your existing capacity easier and more comfortable.

6. Jan 7, 2017 at 5:49 PM
    shaw0531

shaw0531 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Vehicle:
    2006 Spectra Blue Mica Tundra SR5 2WD DC
    6800lbs is a struggle for the first gen tundras no matter what. I pull a 31' sportsman that weighs 5900 dry and it struggles with the hills too. Lot of weight and drag. I always say if you're wanting it to pull easier, get a diesel that's built to pull heavy loads with ease

7. Jan 7, 2017 at 8:56 PM
    Idaho05Tundra

Idaho05Tundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra Double Cab 4X4
    Bilstein 5100 shocks, LT265/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ATII
    Agreed. I wouldn't increase the trailer size or weight above the rated tow capacity of 6,800 lbs. But was curious if better gearing could help with pulling the mountain grades, and if anybody else has tried it.

Products Discussed in

To Top