1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

04 Tundra - conversion back to the 00-02 bumper

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by CarCrazy24, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Oct 4, 2016 at 2:39 PM
    CarCrazy24

CarCrazy24 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Irvine, CA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Tundra - V6 2WD
    Hi everyone!

I'm inheriting a 2004 Toyota Tundra, a 2WD V6 model. I was curious if you guys had any good advice for keeping this truck on the road for a long, long time. I'm open to suggestions on how to keep the V6 and auto transmission running for years to come, as well as common problems/recalls you run into with the 2004 model. I heard there was a ball-joint issue and wasn't sure if the rust issue applies to this year.

I also had a strange question: Can you convert the front bumper to the original 2000-2002 front bumper/grill? I don't like the front bumper of the 2003-2006 models at all, it reminds me of a bloated frog. When the truck was updated in 2003, did they change the whole front end, meaning the bumper and lights and hood and fenders? Or was it just the front bumper? Have you guys heard of anyone trying to do this "reverse" conversion and are aware of the steps required? Do you know the parts needed to order for the conversion?

If anyone can link me to threads that have tried to answer these questions, that would also be helpful. Not sure I've ever seen a thread that shows people trying to go from the updated 2003-2006 bumper and convert it back to the 1999-2002 bumper. Thanks :D

2. Oct 5, 2016 at 12:40 AM
    school teacher

school teacher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Edward
    Louisville Ky
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited
    Leer Cap
    I love the classic look of my 2002 Limited front view. I think that it is superior to any Tundra front view developed to date. I understand that others may like or love the various restyles of the Tundra front view since 2002 but the 2002 front view is my favorite.

A possible answer to your desire to convert the 2004 front bumper to a 2002 front bumper could be found in a colision repair facility. They should know.

I have kept my 2002 Limited 4.7 V8 on the road for 15 years and 203,000 miles by regular service from my Toyota dealer. Every Toyota service includes a multi point inspection with a written report and recommendations for service. Major repair items to date have been a new water pump (80,000 miles - under Toyota extended warranty), left bank catalytic converter (75,000 miles - under warranty), right bank catalytic converter (125,000 miles) rear wheel axle seal (187,000 miles), radiator (198,000 miles), power steering hose connections (150,000 miles), and front anti sway bar tips (187,000 miles). I have also replaced brakes, shocks, batteries, tires and normal maintenance items as required.

I have never had an automatic transmission service. I questioned my Toyota service technician on this and he said ir was not recommended. My vehicle has a transmission fluid cooler and I tow a 2,500 pound bass boat. The transmission functions perfectly and shifts smoothly. The entire vehicle, except the CD player, functions and drives as it did when new.

At 203,000 miles I may be living on borrowed time but I love this truck. I read somewhere where a 2007 4.7 V8 went over 1,000,000 miles with very few repairs. Toyota traded the owner a new Tundra so that they could examine the welds and other items within the vehicle.

I no longer visit my original Toyota dealer for service as I don't think that they have experience with high mileage vehicles. They misdiagnosed a drive line vibration issue and wanted to rebuild the differential for a cost of $2500 - $6000 depending on what was causing the vibration. I got a second opinion at independent transmission and off road shop and they rebuilt the drive line for under $800. The vibration is gone and the vehicle drives like a dream. I also used them for my last brake job and to replace the radiator.

The service manager is super smart, friendly and looks for the lowest cost solution while using quality parts and service techniques. He drives an older 4.7 V8 Lexus and knows the engine and transmission well. When needed, I plan to have him rebuild my transmission. His shop does fleet transmission and regular maintenance for a local business. i asked him about a transmission fluid change for my vehicle. He looked at the fluid on the dipstick and advised on not changing it. He does recommend regular changes for rebuilt transmissions.

If you can find a quality independent shop for maintenance on older, higher mileage Toyota vehicles, I recommend it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    TheBeast and CarCrazy24 like this.
  3. Oct 5, 2016 at 9:35 AM
    CarCrazy24

CarCrazy24 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Irvine, CA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Tundra - V6 2WD
    Thank you kindly for all the great information! My 2004 has the 3.4L V6 but I hear it's a fairly strong engine as well. I'll look to find a good shop locally and get regular maintenance done.

I was thinking the same thing about finding a body shop that might know about the process, was curious if anyone on the forum has done this reverse bumper conversion from 03-06 style to the original 00-02 style and if they had any tips. I'll probably end up taking it to a local body shop for an estimate if I don't hear back here. Appreciate your help.

To Top