1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

04 Tundra 4WD - Purchase advice

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by TravelGuide, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Jan 15, 2021 at 1:07 PM
    TravelGuide

TravelGuide [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma Manual 2.7 4WD
    Hi All,

New to the forum as a member, but have been reading and poking around for a while now. Thanks for all the wisdom you've provided and support to the community.

I've got my 1995 Tacoma 2.7L 4wd- manual and love it!! We added our first kid to the family a few months ago, and I need to upgrade to something I can put a car seat in on rare occasions when the wife's SUV is not available.

I'm looking at a 2004 Tundra V8 AC 4wd with 208,000 miles. I would love to ask some questions and gather more info on where to check next on the truck. I have read as much as I can on the frame rust, and what to look for on a Tundra. Looking closer at the mechanicals, I ran an OBD2 scan and got a few codes back. PO430

PO446

PO441

P0455

^ Cat or O2 sensors, or evap canister, gas cap gasket, loose hose, PCV, EVAP solenoid, etc. I can narrow that down hopefully, but should those be considered dealbreakers? or considered when making the purchase.

And C0200,C0205,C0210 ( so wheel speed sensors)

1. The sticker on the inside of the hood says it's got 50K or so left for the timing belt and water pump.

2. It may need lower ball joints as well but not sure, have not jacked the truck up to see if there is play or not.

3. Then is there some seeping/ leak from the front diff if I'm correct? ( Photo Attached)

4. The inner tie rod boot looks caked in oil/ leaking? as well. Is that from the tie rod or splatter from somewhere else? What's the fix?

5. The exhaust system looks pretty rusted and probably should be fully replaced, guessing the codes are from the 02Sensors, cats, or air leaks?

6. I see some light surface rust on the frame, but it does not seem to be the typical rusted frame issue plaguing some Tundras. Am I wrong?

7. I can also see a cracked/ janky gasket along with the transmission pan as well but no leaks. ( included in photo)

If I buy this rig, I was planning on flushing and filling all the fluids, as well as taking care of everything to get it fully reliable. I've swapped an engine before, done head gaskets, changed all fluids, brakes, and some electrical, but there is always room to grow and more to learn.

If you have a moment and can look at the photos and any ideas for code fixes that would be incredible. Here are some photos of the frame and a few other parts and I'd love feedback.

The owner wants around 4k for the truck, fair price with known "issues" ??

Thanks so much for your time and wisdom.

IMG_9397.jpg
    IMG_9390.jpg
    IMG_9380.jpg
    IMG_9389.jpg
    IMG_9367.jpg
    IMG_9375.jpg
    IMG_9371.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  2. Jan 15, 2021 at 2:11 PM
    N84434

N84434 In the Frozen Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Milwaukee WI.
    Vehicle:
    2001 Limited TRD
    From the enclosed photos, the rust doesn’t look horrible. The differential leak will require removing the front diff to split it and reseal it. Not a horrible job, but a job indeed.
    Most of the other concerns you mentioned would not frighten me at the asking price, but everyone is different.

Are you comfortable getting your hands dirty fixing the problems? If not, you need to budget about 2K for someone else to fix what’s needed. I paid 2000 for my Tundra, but it was almost a basket case when I brought it home. Ended up putting another 4600 into it, but now I have a well sorted reliable truck

what’s the interior condition? any body rust? How’s the bed?

Oh and welcome to the club!!

3. Jan 15, 2021 at 3:05 PM
    assassin10000

assassin10000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 AC
    Remote start alarm Removed keyless entry piezo Qi phone charger & dash mount Subaru underseat subwoofer Hopkins Easylift Steering wheel audio controls No-tenna mod 3/4 adhesive anti-rattle shim D/S door
    I'd clean the diff and check but it looks more like the axle seal.

Front shock is blown/leaking. Steering rack needs a rebuild/replace if boot is filling with fluid.

Trans pan gasket I wouldn't worry about unless it starts leaking.

Evap codes are nothing that hurts the engine. Just something to take care of. Could be a bad gas cap, bad hoses, solenoids, etc. Just gotta check things.

4. Jan 15, 2021 at 3:54 PM
    TravelGuide

Member:
    Vehicle:
    N84434 - Not afraid to get dirty and do the work, more so having to learn as I go. I know how to work on some things, and have some tools, but youtube, this forum, and the repair manual are really helpful. Never replaced a seal yet. The Interior is not terrible, certainly quite dirty and there are a few carpet stains, but nothing a good detailing could probably mitigate. No rips in the seats etc. The hood has paint peeling and two rust dents, so I'd look for a replacement at some point. The body has usual small scratches ( none to bare metal that I've seen) and small dents in the tailgate from use and age. the bed has been sprayed at some point - rhino liner or the like. The overall truck needs the repairs, and a really good detailing and then I'd have a good start.

Assassin 10000, Axel seals, hard job? or just time-consuming? I'm not afraid of doing it or jumping in, just have to learn to do it I guess. Front shocks are toast for sure, need to replace them. I do believe the boot is filling, so a steering rack rebuild or replace for sure.

Do you two see these repairs as a negotiating tool? Or is the 4k pretty fair.

Thank you both!

N84434 likes this.
  5. Jan 15, 2021 at 5:41 PM
    N84434

N84434 In the Frozen Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Milwaukee WI.
    Vehicle:
    2001 Limited TRD
    4 grand is fair, but it never hurts to try to negotiate. Yeah, the axle seals aren't bad to replace but it entails removing the 175 ft.lb nut on the hub, so you can get the CV axle out and replace the differential/axle seal. Really nothing on your truck appears to be a deal breaker, just lots of little jobs that will require your attention.:thumbsup:

6. Jan 15, 2021 at 5:56 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    One of my Power Steering Bellows has been leaking slowly for years, but the fluid rez level never drops. Keep an eye on yours. New Rack is high dolla and will snowball into other $$$.

Replace the gas cap anyways as its cheap insurance. Replace the PCV for the same reason. Clean Throttle Body. Replace MAF Sensor. All these for under $100.

All new o2 Sensors under $200 for 4.

N84434 likes this.
  7. Jan 15, 2021 at 6:14 PM
    smokey0810

smokey0810 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tundra SR5 AC 4WD
    One other thing....you ain’t getting a car seat in the back of an access cab for dang sure. Booster seat, yes, but I just can’t see a car seat fitting back there with two passengers up front.

8. Jan 15, 2021 at 6:24 PM
    TravelGuide

Member:
    Vehicle:
    N84434 - 175 lbs oosh, ok going to have to look that one up. I suspect one has to retighten it down to the same torque? Maybe I can get an unsuspecting friend to help in exchange for a 6 pack :)

Golden Hands - I'll check out the steering bellows as well, thanks for the tip! Yeah the rack is not going to be fun, but gotta do it at some point I bet. I'll start with the smaller stuff.

Smokey0810- I don't ever really have passengers ride with me, and if we are going on a longer trip we'll take the wifes 2019 SUV, so the front passenger seat can be moved forward on the Tundra and he'll be fine. I tried his car seat and it fits. Boosters will be much better in a few years though, you are correct.

Thanks for all of your feedback much appreciated!

9. Jan 15, 2021 at 10:30 PM
    fighthedude

fighthedude New Member

Member:
    Hard pass. Not because of the work needed but because totally terrible and inconvenient for kid and parents for car seat. Like dumb. Now if it is a money issue and you can only afford this that is different. But if you have time find a double cab with rear airbags. Plus your gonna find yourself spending more time getting this truck up to par and your wife is gonna be annoyed your not helping out with the kid. (congrats btw). Every project takes more time than you expect when it's first time doing it. Let us know what you decide.

10. Jan 16, 2021 at 7:10 AM
    smokey0810

smokey0810 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tundra SR5 AC 4WD
    And yea, forgot to mention congratulations on the new addition to the family. The one thing I do regret about my truck is it is an AC, and with three growing kids (2 in boosters) it is a tight fit when the Odyssey is out of service or we need to go somewhere that needs a truck.

Stuck in the '00s likes this.
  11. Jan 16, 2021 at 7:19 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    No Ragerts!

I could fit 3 Tattos in the back no problems.

smokey0810[QUOTED] and Lil Steve like this.
  12. Jan 16, 2021 at 7:36 AM
    Stuck in the '00s

Stuck in the '00s Experienced member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mikey
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2004 Phantom Gray DC 4X4 Limited Tundra
    Western plow, custom bed
    I'm also in the hard-pass group. You'll end up sticking way more into it than you think. If the owner let all THIS go to hell, what else will you find later?

13. Jan 16, 2021 at 9:24 AM
    TravelGuide

Member:
    Vehicle:
    @fighthedude - I totally hear ya, Car seats are pretty big and take up a good amount of real estate in the car. Money is an issue at the moment ( as to why I was looking at this truck specifically) but I'm switching jobs soon so it will be better in a couple of months. I don't neeeed to get the tundra now, as we don't go many places my wife's SUV cant get us, and if I do go off-road or two tracking, it's typically my buddy's rigs and I only have a passenger or just myself. That's my fear as well, digging in and finding a shit ton more stuff that needs attention. Not that I don't mind wrenching and working on stuff, but the budget and time are the limiting factors for now. You are correct about the wife not wanting to fly solo with the kid for too long as I'd be working on the issues this Tundra has for a bit.

@smoky0810 Thanks, he's a great little dude. Just wish he slept more ( so I could).

@Stuck in the '00s That's also a concern, I don't mind a truck that's got some issues that need attention, I just don't want to buy this and discover a can of expensive worms that needs a ton more work.

14. Jan 16, 2021 at 5:58 PM
    Stuck in the '00s

Member:
    First Name:
    Mikey
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Western plow, custom bed
    I'd keep looking. I spent about 5 weeks searching for an '06 DC 4X4 when my '04 popped up right in line with my budget and plans. So I went about $1250 over but that included the take-off wheels I couldn't pass up.

15. Jan 16, 2021 at 6:08 PM
    smokey0810

smokey0810 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tundra SR5 AC 4WD
    How are the body and interior? How does it drive on the road? Any vibrations? At 208K there are bound to be some issues. Most of the parts can be purchased at a reasonable price, and if you can install yourself, even better. I'd say new shock setup all around and bilsteins seem to be a reasonably priced all-round shock. I've got a set in the garage that will be installed once work slows down. CV shafts can be replaced with alternatives to the Toyota OEMs. For ball joints, OEM seem to be the best way to go. Not sure about the front diff seal. I wouldn't be too concerned about the trans pan gasket if its not leaking. The exhaust is probably just surface rust, and can be replaced with a nice Dirty Deeds system when you're ready. Look around on comparable mileage trucks, and I've seen some clean ones with more miles on eBay and AutoTrader for upwards of $10K. Good luck with your purchase, and the sleep will come.
    Most important advice I can give you is support your wife 110% in everything right now...the months after childbirth can be extremely hard on a woman...and be the best dang husband and father you can be.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. Jan 16, 2021 at 8:11 PM
    TravelGuide

Member:
    Vehicle:
    @Stuck in the '00s sounds like you got a great truck. I could take more time, this one just jumped into my lap, it's in my neighborhood. What take off wheels did you get?

@smokey0810 Body is ok not going to win any contests, scratches on the side panels, and a few dents in the tailgate, but nothing super deep or bare metal though. The hood does have two dents that do show small rust and the clear coat is coming up on it. I do take pride in my own vehicles and keep them clean, well maintained, and looking as best as they can, but I don't need a " perfect" truck either. I need a truck to get me into the mountains to my family's cabin and to haul furniture and stuff in the bed. Before COVID I worked for Nat Geo as an expedition guide and photographer, so I'm used to Land Rovers and Land Cruisers in far remote areas. Most of those had crazy scratches and dents from use in the field. But I would like one that's been more taken care of.. Not sure but I don't believe this one has been.

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 8.59.49 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 8.59.37 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 8.58.42 PM.jpg

17. Jan 16, 2021 at 8:57 PM
    SouthPaw

SouthPaw The headlight guy

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    Here in Colorado, that same truck would be listed for $6500-$8500. To me, if you can get it for $3500 or less, that’s a good deal. All of the issues you have shown aren’t anything major (at least to me). I bought my truck with a few known issues but over time, they all got addressed. If you are able to do work yourself, you’ve got yourself even a better deal.

Now as far as buying it as a family vehicle, not really practical. The backseats are almost non existent. Even a medium sized dog would have trouble moving around.

MS22 likes this.
  18. Jan 17, 2021 at 3:06 AM
    tvpierce

tvpierce Formerly New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC SR5 4WD, 4.7 Automatic
    Personally, I'd be all over this deal. The AC is plenty big for a car seat in the back -- especially for the occasional use as you're describing. Full size adults can fit fine back there for a cross-town trip. My 21 year old daughter and her full-sized boyfriend rode in the back of my AC when we went for a hike this summer (40 min drive). Would a double cab have been more comfortable? Sure. But the AC was perfectly fine. Now the rear seat in the Taco is a completely different story -- I know, I had the exact same truck. ('95 AC, 2.7 w/manual trans). In fact, to call the rear area a "seat" is being charitable. It is not. The access sucks, (no suicide doors) and the space is really only suitable for small kids. If you don't have kids though, it's the perfect sized truck.

If finances and space allow, I'd keep the Taco for a bit while you bring the Tundra maintanence up-to-date, then sell the Taco. If the Taco is in decent shape, I'll bet you'll get more for it than you paid for the Tundra.

19. Jan 17, 2021 at 9:50 AM
    TravelGuide

Member:
    Vehicle:
    @smokey0810 Sorry, I didn't respond fully to your post. On the test drive, it was quite smooth actually, drove it around town and then 70/80mph on the highway to see how it handled. Plenty of power and smooth acceleration, tracked fine, no listing or pull to one side or the other, you can tell it needs front shocks but was not a horrible ride at all. But coming from my 2.7 4C Tacoma though it's like night and day for acceleration etc. But as you stated 208K on the clock I'm sure there are some issues I'd discover. A Dirty Deeds system would be a solid choice for the exhaust. So figuring out if I pull the trigger or wait. Have to decide today or tomorrow. And you are correct, keep the wife happy and fully supported, I've been on some ridiculous adventures around the world, but this is by far the wildest ride. Thanks for all the tips.

@SouthPaw I'm going to shoot for that price range, we'll see what he says. The good thing is I don't need it at this moment so I can easily walk away if he won't budge or laughs at my offer. I'd like to learn to fix more on this or any Tundra. I'm confident I'm able to successfully do the repairs needed on my own, and own time, I enjoy working on them, I just want to avoid any hidden disasters. Not really using it as a family vehicle, mostly just if I'm going up to our family's cabin with the kid solo or around town. We've got the wife's SUV for anything else we need. Just like the option of being able to fit him in there if I need.

@tvpierce I agree with ya, I think he'd fit just fine and be just right for what I intended to use it as. I love my 95 Taco, perfect truck if I don't have to haul the kid around. I'm going to be sad parting with it. I can hang onto it for a while and keep it in the driveway, just drive it while I repair the Tundra see if it fits what I need, and either keep it or sell it. I need to do a few things to the Taco, minor stuff but then I probably could get a good price.

Thanks for the tips!

20. Jan 17, 2021 at 4:09 PM
    SouthPaw

SouthPaw The headlight guy

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    Honestly, $4000 still isn’t bad IMO. What are they going for in your area?

TravelGuide[OP] likes this.
  21. Jan 18, 2021 at 8:46 AM
    Pucks18

Pucks18 Fleabit peanut monkey

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tundra 4x4 Limited trd
    TravelGuide[OP] likes this.
  22. Jan 18, 2021 at 9:35 AM
    tvpierce

tvpierce Formerly New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC SR5 4WD, 4.7 Automatic
    I don't know where you're located @TravelGuide , but your Gen-1 Tacoma with the extra cab, big 4 banger, and manual transmission is a highly sought after combo. If it has a rear locker and it's not rusted out, you're going to have to beat off buyers with a club.

23. Jan 18, 2021 at 12:45 PM
    Stuck in the '00s

Member:
    First Name:
    Mikey
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Western plow, custom bed
    I'm beginning to think so, TG. I didn't when I was underneath scraping the frame, tho'.
    Found these dealer takeoffs an hour away:
    wheels.jpg

Mine came with new tires but the rims were pretty far gone, and they were cheaper than restoring.

24. Jan 20, 2021 at 1:41 PM
    TravelGuide

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hey Everyone,

The owner didn't like my offer, and I was getting more cash together, and he listed it for sale last night and sold it this morning for $6700.... so back to searching marketplace and Craiglist to find another. I want to thank all of you for the tips, help and time answering the questions I posed. Until next time, thanks again.

Best regards

Products Discussed in

To Top