1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

‘01 Windshield Seal Leak

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by -soysauce-, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Oct 4, 2020 at 12:23 PM
    -soysauce-

-soysauce- [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 2WD
    Got in my truck today and felt a drip of water fall onto my hand. I looked up and at the corner of the windshield I felt a wet spot.If you look at the corner of my windshield, there is a gap in the seal. Not sure how that happened... age? I haven’t noticed a leak before, and it looks like a clean break. Does the whole seal need to be replaced all around? Can it be patched with caulk or something?

A5A7FC18-A957-4B9E-ACE1-E844F7852331.jpg 77951B43-34D8-488D-93DE-E7240FE16DF6.jpg FF97E7E4-DF1C-4655-BF96-0C054E8E3614.jpg

2. Oct 4, 2020 at 1:14 PM
    Dmas

Dmas New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    FTL, FL
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Tundra DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    That’s weird, has the windshield been replaced at some point ? either way I would just clean the area real good and fill the gap with black silicone

Black Wolf and tvpierce like this.
  3. Oct 4, 2020 at 2:55 PM
    -soysauce-

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 2WD
    I have this on hand, would this work?

image.jpg

4. Oct 4, 2020 at 3:00 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Just make sure you don’t create a dam anywhere along the top. Keep in mind those roof trims drain into the rubber window trim. Might be a good idea to remove the shrunken trim piece, clean out the groove to be caulked and then caulk it across the top. Wait until the caulk dries before reinstalling trim.

Slippery slopes start when a dam is created.

5. Oct 4, 2020 at 3:39 PM
    Dmas

Dmas New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    FTL, FL
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Tundra DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    That’s a gasket maker material, I don’t think that would work , more like the black silicone to seal windows like the one you get at Home Depot. Like the previous post said caulking material.

6. Oct 4, 2020 at 3:43 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Butyl Caulking is what the Glass Installers use.

7. Oct 4, 2020 at 3:56 PM
    Nick T

Nick T New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Windshields are bonded to the frame with urethane. Butyl is used for plastic headlights, it will not bond glass to metal.
    Urethane is expensive and once opened has a shelf life of 90 days.

If you are just filling in a small void, silicon is fine. If you want to reseal the whole windshield ( the correct way to fix the leak ) take off all the molding...prep the surface with primer and urethane it. Be aware that a regular calk gun will not work, you need the urethane calk gun that will actually fir the tube which adds to the cost to repair correctly.

I would silicon it.

8. Oct 4, 2020 at 4:33 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Thank you. I meant Urethane, but typed Butyl.

I’d use some FuzeIt by Liquid Nails. $8 a tube. Tape off a line after doing the clean/prep and go to go.

9. Oct 4, 2020 at 5:46 PM
    shifty`

shifty` The Second Shortcoming of Christ

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    I would just give a warning: Unless I'm not understanding what I've seen every time I've had a windshield replaced, Glass installer removes the old windshield, cleans up any rusty or pitted sections, then lays down black urethane adhesive sealant, then drops the windshield on. The urethane adhesive is supposed to seal the windshield perimeter. If you're seeing water leak by, it's probably because you've had water sitting in that spot and it's corroded, and is now able to leak past.

If you're not popping off the windshield to clean and re-seal, you need to do two things: You need to use a flowable silicone in that spot, and you should probably replace that upper seal to help keep water from even getting the chance to flow down in there.

Look up Permatex 81730-1. Get a tube. It's what you'll want to use. Flowable silicone will work its way down into the seam and seal it up.

You DO NOT want to use standard silicone products on painted steel unless they say they're "paint safe" or "automotive safe". They will cause corrosion and rust. Either because they contain ammonia or cause an acidic reaction.

10. Oct 5, 2020 at 11:22 AM
    -soysauce-

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 2WD
    So it seemed like a pro job to do, so I ended up taking it to a body shop. They said the missing mounding won’t cause a leak, but the polyurethane seal will. They quoted me $150 to reseal my windshield, $60 to replace the moulding, and $200 for a new windshield (there’s a crack in the current one) so about $410 for everything.

The thing is that they did a bunch of test like blasting air, pressurized water, and other methods to detect leak but couldn’t reproduce the leak.

I’m down to pay the $410 just to get that stuff dealt wit just prevent any future pains, but I am scared that it won’t fix the leak if it’s coming from somewhere else. Any thoughts on where the leak might also come from?

11. Oct 5, 2020 at 11:33 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    I wish you could still get new OEM windshields. I'd really like to replace mine so I don't need to cerium-oxide our the fine scratches caused by the PO not changing wipers frequently enough during 12-13 years of daily dirt-road driving, but I really want to be a snob about it and get OEM glass.

I have no rock chips, no scratches, no cracks in my OEM windshield. Just typical cheapskate behavior on the wipers. His mechanical maintenance was A+ though.

12. Oct 5, 2020 at 11:55 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Nice. I was going to suggest a new shield depending on the age, but wasn’t sure how much you wanted to spend. You’ll have a warranty if the leak comes back.

13. Oct 5, 2020 at 11:56 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    I checked last year and Safelite could get the OEM for $1200 installed. I chose the $365 option installed in my driveway.

14. Oct 5, 2020 at 12:13 PM
    -soysauce-

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 2WD
    whats the benefits of oem glass?

15. Oct 5, 2020 at 2:21 PM
    mtTundra

mtTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bozeman MT
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum 4X4, 1997 Tacoma 4x4
    Longer list than the wife needs to know about....
    None
    There are only a handful of glass manufactures. They will then re brand (White-label) the glass for the auto OEM.
    The glass manufactures all bid for the "OEM" when the vehicles are being created, you will notice that sometimes the band of the glass will change thru a production run likely due to contracting or quality issues.

OEM just means you get to pay the Toyota markup since their logo is also in the glass.

aftermarket I'd suggest getting a Pilkington band, they always seem to have the best fit and finish.
    Its been a few years since I was in the glass business tho.

Based on your picture above it looks like your windshield has been replaced before, you don't get that much urethane squish from a factory set windshield. Which then leads me to believe since it just started leaking is likely caused by some rust formed in the pinch-weld allowing water under the urethane bead, OR the urethane bond to the windshield has failed which would be much more serious.

*Note the black trim you see on the outside is just cosmetic, it can be removed and would have 0 impact on the "seal" of your windshield, the urethane (visible on your interior picture) is what seals and bonds the windshield to the car.

See above, but also if you have a sunroof its possible the drain in plugged and overflowing into the cab, then following the roof line down to the windshield.

FirstGenVol likes this.
  16. Oct 5, 2020 at 2:25 PM
    -soysauce-

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 2WD

Would that pinchweld be visible once they remove the windshield and sealant? A part of me was thinking that once they remove everything, they may see possible rust and be able to take care of it while they are in there

17. Oct 5, 2020 at 2:30 PM
    mtTundra

mtTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bozeman MT
    Vehicle:
    Yes, the pinchweld is the piece of metal that the urethane on bonds to on the truck side, so when you pull the windshield you can see the pinchweld.
    My guess is rust based on the age of the vehicle, if the rust is too bad you could be looking at body work FYI.
    410 Seems high for a new windshield, i would get comparative quotes from other glass shops. They should be able to deal with minor rust caused bonding issues, if the rust is too bad then you might need to get it to a body shop.

18. Oct 5, 2020 at 3:06 PM
    -soysauce-

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 2WD
    Yeah I know it’s high, especially since I just looked at safelite’s website. They are actually a body shop, so hopefully with me paying this much they toss me a bone if they do see something minor, plus they are replacing the moulding as well. I know that’s wishful thinking, but they already got my truck and I okayed the work.

19. Oct 7, 2020 at 8:44 AM
    -soysauce-

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 2WD
    Well, just an update. They pulled the windshield and seal and found that the previous glass installers didn’t prime the gouges they made when they cut the old glass off, which rusted and caused corrosion.

My shop cleaned it, primed it, rust proofed it and made it so that she won’t leak again. The best part was they dropped the price to $360 which includes a new moulding all the way around.

20. Oct 7, 2020 at 10:20 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    I was actually wondering about this. There was the $150 charge to "reseal the windshield", but if they install a new windshield, it needs to be re-sealed during install anyway, so ... that charge didn't make any sense to me. $200 for the glass, $60 to replace the trim or molding, plus maybe $100 for labor on install make more sense to me.

Sounds like you got a good deal, and you'll be good to go for another decade or two once they're done.

I had a similar issue with the last truck, a late 90s model. Swapped out the OEM windshield. no gauges, but plenty of rust around the edges. Installer had a rapid-cure rust sealing paint he used after sanding and treating the corrosion. Windshield was leaking from both upper corners prior to swap.

21. Oct 7, 2020 at 10:38 AM
    mtTundra

mtTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bozeman MT
    Vehicle:
    Its unlikely to include new molding on the sides, those are just screwed in to the A pillar. If they did replace those trim pieces i'd be impressed as they are probably $50+/- each side. There is no reason to replace them however yours look fine just a bit faded from age.

Sounds like they are treating you right and doing the right fixes tho, treating the rust should include grinding out the damaged metal until they get to bare clean metal, treating that with an acid etching, and then priming the prepped metal. I doubt they would then paint it being that it is unexposed under the windshield, and the urethane should bond to the primer fine.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020

Products Discussed in

To Top